Barcelona after Madrid is the largest city of Spain. It is really nice and impressive place. It inspires all of its visitors. During Christmas time in Barcelona tourists and locals can enjoy many Christmas attractions.
1. Great Christmas lights
There were a lot of Christmas lights in a various colors and shapes on the streets of Barcelona and the buildings.
Casa Mila – one of the most famous buildings in Barcelona made by Gaudi. It has a unique architecture design. During the Christmas time Casa Mila was decorated by shining star.
Plaza Real – one of the main and beutiful squares in Barcelona with magnificient palm trees, a fountain, restaurants. It is always full of people. Plaza Real had a lot of white, soft lights, that formed unbelievable winter sky.
The streets of Barcelona were wonderful – it was like walking along the glowing corridors. I enjoyed them especially in old city of the city Barcelona and the gothic district.
Also recommended to see was the beach area. Restaurants located in the port had many decorations – stars, angels, etc. Palms with the lights looked like no usual Christmas trees. They had a tropical, exotic style 😀
2.Interesting modern illuminations
My favorite thing were the winter balls. They looked very original. In the middle of them there were artistic compositions. The balls looked like a spectacle of lights, figures, compositions, movement and music.
Form of modern art you could also see the nearby church de Santa Lucia in the historical center of Barcelona. They had a silver color and rounded shape.
3. Christmas trees
In some places there was an opportunity to see really well decorated Christmas trees. Maybe they were not as original as in Madrid, but still looked great !
4. Let’s enjoy street markets
Another attraction in Barcelona are street Christmas markets. There you can buy Christmas trees, decorations, gifts etc. Interesting markets were:
- near the La Sagrada Famila – a very well-known and spectacular cathedral made by Gaudi;
- Fira de Santa Lucia – close to the old well-known church;
- La Rambla Street – one of the most famous streets in Barcelona.
5. Glowing shopping centers
Also shopping centers were incredible decorated on the outside and inside.
Here you can see pictures of:
- El Corte Ingles close to Plaza Catalunya – main, a very famous Spanish shopping mall;
- Diagonal Mar el Centro Comerial – located near the beach in the modern part of Barcelona;
- Centro Comercial Arenas de Barcelona – building in shape of bullring; this shopping center has a great tarrace overlooking the Plaza de Espana (spectacular square of Barcelona).
Shopping centers also organized also children’s shows- meetings with Santa Claus.
Strange Catalan Christmas traditions
With Christmas period are related of time are connected also two funny Catalan traditions (Barcelona is situated in the region of Spain Catalonia):
1. Tio de Nadal – wooden figures with Santa Claus caps. In period before Christmas, the children care about him – fed and heat. In the Christmas time kids sing a special song and hit Tio de Nadal. Tio de Nadal aims pooping gifts for them;
2. Caganer – figures of people in intimate, toilet situation. You can buy them in the markets, buildings of street markets and native scenes in the Catalan region. Kids in Catalonia have fun trying find Caganers hidden among other native figures. Caganers are the symbols of good luck.
In the street markets they are sell everywhere figures of Tio de Natal and Caganer.
Many photos published in that article are made by: Jesus Ibañez Bondzio